1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Hassan Tarantula”

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Kiraral, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Kiraral

Kiraral Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    anybody know what species this may refer to? Is it local slang somewhere? I don’t have a pic. The person also said it was a nasty $@*% and was red.

I’m not buying it or anything. It’s just a conversation about a past pet and I’m curious.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

I’m sorry but I’ve never heard that name before, I’m interested to see what you find out though

3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Never heard about such a common name but, at the end of the day, common names can be invented no matter, or completely change person from person.

Anyway, that name, 'Hassan', is an Arabic one so probably one day happened that a dates merchant, bitten by a M.balfouri, screamed that name like Johnny Weissmuller in the 'Tarzan Call'... that's my conclusion :pompous:

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

Could be a severely misheard/mangled description of an OW stridulating tarantula. Making it an equally vague "Hissing" tarantula...I dunno, I've got nothin'.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

That actually kinda makes sense lol

6. Kiraral

Kiraral Arachnopeon

Interesting thoughts.

Now I’ve got to find out more about this T....

• Love Love x 1
  7. Chris LXXIX

Good luck Kiraral! :)

Please keep us updated because probably this 'Hassan' Tarantula was the legendary spider once kept by (H. P. Lovecraft™) the 'Mad Arab' Abdul Alhazred :bookworm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kiraral

Kiraral Arachnopeon

Alright guys.

Apparently it was a P. cancerides (Hatian Brown Tarantula)

Doesn't look very red to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Chris LXXIX

'That's the common names, baby. The common names! And there's nothing you can do about it. Nothing!' :kiss: