1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A. Avicularia with a Bald Abdomen

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Tia B, Oct 11, 2017.

1. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Advertisement
    Wood collected should be baked. This is not for sterilization, but rather to remove any excess moisture from the wood....this is critical to prevent wood from contstantly molding. Wood should also be chosen carefully, as most isnt usable....anything too fresh is bad. I prefer to collect driftwood from around lakes or rivers, it dries easily and molds less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BC1579

BC1579 Arachnosquire Active Member

3. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopeon

I would like to collect wood from outside, but my area is kind of sparse in trees, we have more cactus and shrubs. There's no rivers or lakes nearby that I know of, so driftwood probably is not an option. I'm sure that it would still be possible to find something useful outside, but I think I plan to buy something instead.

4. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

riverbeds exist everywhere, they will just be dry beds much of the year in AZ...Still good collection places. Purchasing cork is another good option.

BC, i heat at 250...how long varies....i bake it till i can smell that its dry.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopeon

I made a new enclosure for my guy. How does it look? 20171013_153208.jpg 20171013_153159.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  6. BC1579

Looks like you're gonna have a very happy T!

Smaller area, but not too cramped. Locating prey will be simple for the T. Less area for you to maintain, less used substrate, etc.

Hopefully she'll start webbing the place up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    PERFECT! I'm very impressed that you did such a fantastic job on that enclosure. Not only that, but we've found a noob that TOOK ADVICE! T's a miracle! 10/10 gg

8. Deeser

Deeser Arachnopeon Active Member

It is indeed a very nice setup and should make for one happy T!

My ONLY feedback would be around the water dish. Maybe its just the angle etc of the photo, but it looks like it may be difficult to take out and put back in if you need to clean it. As long as you can get down there easy enough without disturbing your little buddy, you're golden.

My versicolor has an abandoned water dish in the bottom because I simply can't get my tongs down there to pull it out. So now I have that empty dish full of dirt at the bottom, and the new one glued up top near the opening :p

9. Yay! Your guy should be happy and healthy in new home -- you done good! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BC1579

Now you can start working on the large enclosure for a nice Psalmopelmus species or maybe a Pokie. Something that might make better use of that space. I've been working on a terrestrial enclosure for a GBB for about a month now. Not sure when I'll get the spider but the enclosure will be ready when it's time.

11. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

I would say let him get the hang of the Avic spp. before recommending an OW with medically significant Venom.

12. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopeon

Well, I do keep a number of terrestrial tarantulas and wolf spiders, this just happened to be my first arboreal. All my current Ts are NW, though I do plan to someday get some OW Ts.

13. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopeon

She's started webbing! 20171014_083131.jpg

14. darkness975

I have no doubts and as long as you are prepared for the Venom, Speed, etc. then I see no reason for you not to.

Remember an OW can potentially land you in the hospital.

@Tia B Webbing is a good sign, and judging by that abdomen it is due a molt sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BC1579

I was speaking more to enclosure prep, since this thread kind of hovers around what can happen if you get a T that you don’t have a proper enclosure for.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. BC1579

I’m super jealous. I can’t get either of mine to web.

17. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Active Member

Get them plastic plants so they have lots of anchor points. In my experience if an Avic isn't webbing there is something that needs to be looked at.

18. BC1579

Got some in each enclosure.

Also have a cork bark piece stood up in one and a piece of bamboo in the other.

They’re happy. They eat. Just no web.

19. darkness975

Pics of set up?

20. BC1579

BE7EB793-DD5D-4AA1-98A3-9FBD1E53B151.jpeg

Enclosure is a gallon in total volume. About 10-11” tall and about 8” in diameter. The other is not a replica paint can, but dimensions are about the same. Slightly smaller, but so is that T.