1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hisser question?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by SolFeliz, Aug 26, 2017.

1. SolFeliz

SolFeliz Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Can hissers eat fish flakes, cos I heard they could on another forum? If they can, please tell me cos I'll definitely be trying it!

2. Matttoadman

Matttoadman Arachnoknight

Us
    Yes, it's good cause it seldom molds before they eat. However it is fairly expensive. I fed mine oats($2 a container) and occasionally dirt cheap Cat food.

3. Redmont

Redmont The collector Arachnosupporter

I've read that grading cat food is a bad idea for roaches I can't remember exactly what it is (I think there's something on roach forum about this) I believe something builds up in the roaches body, it may be ok If there not feeders but if they are feeders to reptiles it can be harmful to reptiles long term. Dog food is some what better I don't think it has that problem. I primarily feed my roaches carrots and other veggies and occasionally a beetle jelly if I'm going away, and they get roach chow that is probably 70% oats and 30% cereal and I put bee pollen and fish flakes in it as well.

4. Matttoadman

Us
    I was under the impression that it was the high quality cat and dog food that was problematic. The cheep stuff (dollar store kinds) is mostly corn anyway. I give a hand full about twice a month. Yet to meet the protein demands of my Eublaberus. They ignore it and it molds if I give it too often. To me old fashioned outs and fruit scraps are the best. There is no waste from feeding my bearded dragon his veggies, before or after. I have been thinking about feeding the leftover Repashy gecko food to them as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Randomjoe

Randomjoe Arachnopeon

ohio
    I think with the cat/dog food it was the high amount of animal protein that some thought increased the chance of gout in lizards. I used to use pond fish food from a feed store ( high protein but mostly from plant) but am currently using non-medicated chick feed as they were out last time i need some. $9 -$15 for 40# :)

6. Redmont

Redmont The collector Arachnosupporter

I don't know a whole lot on the subject, I'll probably do some reading on it later, but I figured I would post something about it and let each person form their own opinion on the subject and to inform other members that might be reading this thread

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince

Fish flakes would work, but are so much more expensive than dog/cat/chick foods that work just as well. If you are using them as feeders, I'd suggest either dog food or unmedicated chick feed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I use it occasionally. I drop cat food in there, an apple, a potato, salad, a whole banana, it depends, I like to mix it up a bit.

9. Matttoadman

Us
    So far the only thing I can't get roaches to each is asparagus and radishes.