1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumper Premolt Behavior

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Lil Paws, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Lil Paws

Lil Paws Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Experienced jumping spider owners - Can anyone tell me what behaviors do they have before a molt—beyond sealing themselves up in a sleep sack?

I have a Regal who cannot make webbing right now (I believe her spinnerets are damaged—she tries to use them but nothing comes out). She/he is a juvenile so there's probably (hopefully) a molt coming up, but I have no way to know from her webbing, and I want to be sure prey is not in the enclosure with her during the time she needs to be safe.

2. It could be an internal problem with the silk glands. Try giving her extra water.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Draketeeth

Draketeeth Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    Jumpers tend to go high up in the enclosure when they molt, so if the prey is pretty much ground-bound, she should be fairly safe unless there's super easy access up or she's goofy and molts down low.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnopeon Active Member

I read about a few getting defensive before a molt but I’ve only had my 2 jumpers for like 2 months. P. Regius

• Like Like x 1